Now I can’t lie and say I the biggest cheese fan..but there are a few combinations that include cheese that I adore. Apple and cheese being on of them.
When I was given the task to create a fresh, new recipe with Cabot Creamery Cheese, I couldn’t help but to begin thinking up ideas that involved that combination. Cabot Creamery is a family-farmer owned cooperative of more than 1200 farms located throughout New England and New York. One-hundred (100) percent of Cabot’s profits go back to their farmers. AND their cheddar cheese is a protein-rich snack and naturally lactose free. Sounds like a good fit for a recipe on here right??
But as I was dreaming up cheese and apple recipes, I began having one of my carb-attack cravings. And with being 100% gluten free now, I knew I wanted to make a delicious snack that would satisfy those midday cravings I tend to get, yet be healthy and keep me on my gluten free streak.
Hence, my Apple Cheddar Scone recipe. Gluten free, and absolutely DELICIOUS.
It is the perfect way to start you morning, or satisfy those midday (or late night!) cravings, as it is much lower in fat than normal scones, using no butter, and only a little coconut oil (which is a healthy fat!). Using all gluten free flours, these babies will help you beat the bloat that gluten tends to give a person. AND, it contains some good for you protein, CHEESE, and some nutritious, fiber filled fruit, APPLES!
What could be a better mix than that?
Plus, they aren’t cardboard tasting like normal gluten free bread products, (gag).
Sweetness in the apple and cinnamon. Savory in the cheddar. Mmmm.
- 1 cup GF Oat Flour (GF oats blended into flour)
- ¼ cup Coconut Flour
- ¼ cup Potato Starch (could also use tapioca or corn starch)
- 3 packets Stevia
- 1 tbsp Psyllium Husks (or 1 tsp Guar Gum)
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 6 tbsp Applesauce
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 1 Egg
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil, chilled
- 2 tbsp Unsweetened Almond Milk
- ½ chopped Red Apple, medium
- 4 oz. Cabot Creamery White Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt
- Optional: extra coconut oil for brushing on top along with cinnamon and stevia for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Shred cheese and chop apple.
- Combine all dry ingredient in one bowl, and all wet ingredients in another, except for the coconut oil.
- Combine wet ingredient into the dry ingredients until thoroughly mixed. "Cut" in chilled coconut oil by teaspoon (think of typical scones where you cut in cubes of chilled butter).
- Fold in apples and cheddar.
- Form dough into a circular shape on tray sprayed with nonstick spray. Cut into four "scones".
- Lightly brush extra melted coconut oil on top of dough, and sprinkle with cinnamon and stevia (or sugar of choice)
- Bake in oven for 12-15 minutes, or until browned on outside.
“I received free samples of Cabot Cheese mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a
recipe challenge sponsored by Cabot Creamery and am eligible to win prizes. I was not additionally
compensated for my time.”