I don’t know what it is about stuffed chicken recipes, but I love them. And I love creating new ones.
Lately I have been loving avocados. Not only because they are delicious, but because when Im staying away from the typical unhealthy fats for the most part, I need a lot of good fats! Along with homemade nut butters, avocados are something I eat daily to get those healthy fats. They not only have tons of good, healthy fats, but they have many other benefits. This makes them a delicious summer ingredient, and not just in guacamole!
Did you know that avocados have been called The Worlds Most Perfect Food?? And rightfully so! An avocado contains every single nutrient that a person would need to survive.
Avocados are rich in many vitamins, such as A, C, D, E, K, and all of the B vitamins (thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, biotin, vitamin B-6, vitamin B-12 and folate). Dr. Daniel G. Amen, a clinical neuroscientist, psychiatrist, brain-imaging expert and author of the New York Times bestseller counts avocados as one of the top brain-healthy foods that can help prevent Alzheimers Disease.
I became so excited when I heard there was a contest involving avocados, and instantly became motivated to create something delicious. I have a few delicious recipes, but today, it’s all about the stuffed chicken! I love pesto. I just adore that delicious basil taste. That is why I knew I wanted to incorporate it in this recipe creation. The creamy taste of avocados, the flavor of fresh picked basil..I knew I was heading in the right direction.
This is the perfect summer night meal, as even though it may seem like you are indulging, it was made in a very healthy manner! Protein packed and rich in healthy fats, this delicious meal is sure to keep you satisfied, in both hunger and taste.
- 2 avocados, flesh
- ½ 14oz can artichokes, chopped
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- ¼ cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon red pepper seasoning
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 large Chicken Breasts
- 1 tablespoon each: dried basil, thyme, onion
- 1 teaspoon each: pepper flakes, garlic powder, sea salt
- In high speed blender or food processor, add all avocado filling ingredients, except artichokes, and blend until smooth.
- Stir in chopped artichokes. Place in fridge until needed.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Take out chicken breast, and butterfly with knife (cut breast in half horizontally but not all the way through so that it is still in one piece).
- Place ¼ mixture in each breast, and fold back top half of chicken to "close". In a shallow bowl, mix all the dried seasonings and salt together.
- Sprinkle rub mixture on each breast on both sides, and place on a cookie pan sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Cook in oven for about 20 minutes, or until chicken is done.
1) Filled with Monounsaturated Fats: types of fats that help control triglycerides in the bloodstream, lower blood cholesterol and control diabetes.
2) By adding avocado to certain foods, you can improve your absorption of nutrients
3) Provides all 18 essential amino acids necessary for the body to form a complete protein. Unlike the protein in steak, which is difficult for most people to digest, the body readily absorbs avocado protein because avocados also contain fiber.
4) Pack with Folate: a water-soluble B vitamin that promotes healthy cell and tissue development. According to the National Institute of Healths Office of Dietary Supplements, This is especially important during periods of rapid cell division and growth such as infancy and pregnancy. Folate is also essential for metabolism of homocysteine and helps maintain normal levels of this amino acid.
5) Contains Lutein: a carotenoid that protects against cataracts and certain types of cancer, and reduces the risk of mucular degeneration, the leading cause of blindness in adults 65 years of age and older. Avocados contain 3 or more times as much lutein as found in other common vegetables and fruits.
6) Rich in Oleic acid and Potassium Both of these nutrients also help in lowering cholesterol and reducing the risk of high blood pressure.
7) Good source of fiber
I received free samples of California Avocado mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by California Avocado and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.