Something about that crunch. I just love me some biscotti’s.
Anyone who knows me well, knows this weird fact about me: I love anything crunchy. Don’t give me soft bread, toast it, like realllly toast it. Or just give me the “butt” of the loaf everyone throws away. Except for cookies I guess, those gotta be gooey, basically just gimme the dough. But crunchy is typically for me, like people who throw away their pizza crust? Insanity! Biscotti’s is just another example of that..
And no, I do not dip it in my coffee. That would make it SOFT, ew. (not anything against all the normal people out there who do eat them in this way)
But no matter how you enjoy yours, let’s talk about these flavors. Dark chocolate. Dates. YUM
Did you know dates have a caramel like flavor? That’s why people make easy, vegan caramel sauce using only soaked dates blended! Soooo basically these biscotti’s taste like chocolate caramel. Delicious combination? You better believe it!
Dates are one of those great foods to use when wanting to decrease the amount of sugar, or to eat when having a sugar craving but wanting to avoid the processed sugar! Hence why I turned to them A TON when I did my sugar detox last summer.
Questions for YOU
Are you a crunchy or soft lover when coming to breads and baked goods?
How do you enjoy your biscotti’s?
Are you a dark, milk, or white chocolate fan?
Do you like dates, or do you think they’re gross looking (like crockroaches..haha my first opinion as a kid)?
Until next time,
xo Sarah Grace
- 1 cup Brown Rice Flour
- ¼ cup Tapioca Flour
- ¼ cup Dark Cocoa Powder
- ½ cup Canned Coconut Milk (or any nondairy milk)
- ¼ cup Applesauce
- 10 Dates, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Coconut Oil, chilled
- 2 tablespoons Honey
- 4 packets Stevia (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Chill coconut oil in fridge
- Combine all dry ingredients in one bowl
- Combine wet ingredients in other bowl
- Break the chilled coconut oil into pieces and mix into dry ingredients
- Add wet ingredients and combine until all is thoroughly mixed
- Form into a "bread loaf" shape and place on a cookie sheet sprayed with nonstick spray
- Cook for about 15 minutes, remove, and slice loaf into biscotti shaped slices and lay flat on sheet.
- Bake for another 10 minutes, remove, flip, and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Check for crispness and either allow to cool or bake in 5 minute increments until done to desired crispness. Allow to cool on tray for extra crispness.
Canned Coconut Milk Benefits
1) The fat may increase metabolism and aid in weight loss compared to other sources of fat
2) Contains lauric acid antimicrobial lipids and caprice acid which have antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties
3) Medium chained saturated fat may improve heart health
4) Great source for dairy-free cream or whipped topping
5) Helps fortify and condition the skip and hair
Raw Honey Benefits
1) Alkaline-forming food that contains natural vitamins, enzymes, and powerful antioxidants
2)Anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal properties
3)Promotes body and digestive health
4)Strengthens immune system
6)Excellent remedy for skin wounds and infections
7)Stabilizes blood pressure
1)Decreases blood pressure
2)Improves cholesterol levels
3)Prevents heart disease
4)Rich in flavonoids, an antioxidant
1)Reduces tooth decay by lowering levels of bacteria
2)Keeps Alzheimer’s away and fights aging effects on brain
3) Curbs Cancer because of flavonol richness
4)Decreases risk of diabetes (due to soluble fiber amount)
6) High in fiber keeps digestive tract optimal
7)Neutralize Irritable Bowel Syndrome (high fiber content)
8) Detoxes Liver
9) Boosts immune system