Who’s a fan of eggnog?! Yes, it may be only June. But when is it too early for some good eggnog? Except when you’re trying to be “bikini ready”..But what if I told you your could have your eggnog, and drink it too!
Lower in calories and fat, yet higher in protein and full of flavor, this eggnog is right for ANYONE. Even those watching their waistline 🙂
Now, for anyone that doesn’t completely disregard the fact that eggnog is made of RAW eggs (like me!), and is just slightly freaked out by the thought of drinking raw eggs that either A: could give you salmonella, or B: you have to take so long preparing and watching on the stove to make sure it hit “just the right temperature”..look no farther. This recipe is also for you.
Why? Because I had the chance to use Safest Choice eggs in this recipe.
You’re probably thinking, um, what does that mean?
Well Davidson’s Safest Choice eggs are safely pasteurized! WITHOUT changing the flavor or texture of the egg. How? They use a gentle water bath process that eliminates the risk of Salmonella in eggs, so that WE can safely enjoy our favorite recipes that contain raw or slightly cooked eggs.
AKA this recipe I made!
FUN FACT. Did you know that 1.4 million cases of salmonella PER YEAR? and that 96% of those are FOOD RELATED? (according to ). Reason why I am VERY cautious with raw eggs. Either I leave ’em out, like in my safe ..or I use eggs like these from Safest Choice!
But I didn’t stop with just using raw eggs in the eggnog.
No I went all out since I had safe eggs to play with. And I’m a food blogger. That’s what we do. We play around with food.
So I also made a delicious Whipped Topping from some egg whites! I mean, what better way to top off a glass of eggnog, onhealthy flagyl than with homemade whipped topping? (and make a pretty presentation for my photo session with this delightful glass of eggnog).
Once you make the eggnog, you can leave it AS IS, and drink it!
ORRRR. You can take a cup of it and blend it into a protein smoothie!
WHAT. Craziness, right?
Enjoy your glass of skinny eggnog or your skinny eggnog protein shake (new post workout drink?!)..of course with the whipped topping too, in these sunny, summer months!
- 1 cup Coconut Milk, canned (I used the lite version)
- 1 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 3 Davidson's Safest Choice Eggs
- Stevia to Taste (I used about ¼ cup baking stevia, which measures cup for cup)
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon each: Nutmeg and Cloves
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Optional: Rum to taste! (or add some rum extract!)
- Optional Whipped Topping: below
- Separate eggs and set eggwhites aside for later use
- Stir yolks and sugar together in small bowl.
- Mix milk and spices together in another bowl, and stir in egg yolk mixture
- Add in vanilla and optional rum.
- Either enjoy as is or use recipe below to make protein smoothie!
- the reserved 3 eggwhites from eggnog
- liquid sweetener to taste (I used liquid vanilla stevia, could use honey)
- Beat eggwhites with electric beater until you reach a peak. Slowly drizzle in honey as you continue to beat. Add on top of eggnog/eggnog smoothie!
- 1 cup Homemade Eggnog (see above)
- 1 Banana, small, very ripe and frozen
- 1 scoop Vanilla/Cinnamon Protein Powder of choice (I used Quest Nutrition Vanilla Milkshake!)
- Combine all ingredients in blender, and blend until smooth! Top with whipped topping if desired!
By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Davidsons Safest Choice Eggs and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.