I could eat a whole container of hummus with carrots. It’s just so good. On sandwiches as the sauce, on crackers, or or as a dip for veggies..you can never go wrong by having hummus in your fridge!
It is such a great appetizer to prepare when having people over too. I always make this hummus when guests are coming, and it is always the first bowl I’m refilling!
But did you know that hummus is made of a lot of oil and tahini (basically ground sesame), when buying packaged? That is what give it that oh so smooth texture. But because of those ingredients, just two tablespoons of dip is quite costly in calories. And let’s be honest, who truly only eats two tablespoons?
The way I have created this hummus, allows you to enjoy guilt free, as it is made of almost nothing but chick peas, olives, and spices! And it is just as delicious as the other stuff. Everyone is always asking for the recipe, so I thought I would share it with you.
- 1 15-oz can Chick Peas
- ½ 4.25oz can chopped Kalamata Olives
- ¼ cup liquid from Chickpea can (or olive oil for a smoother, rich texture)
- Lemon Juice from ½ of a small Lemon
- -1 or 2 Garlic Cloves (if not wanting to taste much of it, use 1)
- 2 tsp dried onion
- 2 tsp tsp cumin
- 1 tsp Cajun Spice Seasoning (or other desired seasonings)
- Place all ingredients in a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- If needing more liquid, add more reserved liquid from canned chick peas.
Kalamata Olive Hummus
1) Great source of protein and fiber ( 1 cup has 10g fiber and 12g protein)
2) Rich in calcium, iron, potassium, and zinc
3) Can improve your circulatory and heart health
4) Fiber aids in a healthy digestive system and lower cholesterol
Kalamata Olive Benefits
1) Good source of monounsaturated fats
2)Rich in vitamin E, polyphenols and flavonoids which pretext against free radicals, reduce inflammation, and build the immune system
3) High in vitamin A, which helps fight cancer and maintain healthy eye sight.
4) Rich in minerals, such as calcium, copper, iron, and magnesium–good for strong bones and clear skin
5) High in fiber