The number one thing as a registered dietitian I work on with my clients: fixing nutrient deficiencies. When deficient, you’ll never feel great!
Throughout a little 5 Day Challenge I recently put on, I shared the FIRST thing I work on with any 1-1 client – no matter their goals. This one thing can make or break your healthy living journey. And if this one thing is present – even the most strict diet or fitness plan won’t result in you feeling your best or reaching your potential. Nutrient deficiencies.
Yes fixing nutrient deficiencies is KEY.
See, I used to always be that person that said: Just get all your vitamins and minerals from food! All you have to do is EAT GOOD. And then through observing REAL life and REAL people… I realized a lot of times, eating well still isn’t sufficient. As much as I want to say as a dietitian that all you have to do is eat a balanced diet, sometimes that just isn’t good enough with how our foods are processed and grown nowadays.
Confession time: I am NOT one that likes to admit that I am wrong. And for so long I DID go around saying if you had a nutrient deficiency, you weren’t eating a good enough diet.
Now for some people, eating a whole foods based diet IS enough. And sometimes, you CAN fix deficiencies will just adding in certain foods.
As a dietitian, that is what we stand for when working on nutrient deficiencies: real food.
Let’s make sure one thing is clear before talking more: I DO believe in FOODS FIRST, and supplements only if needed after.
So that being said, here are some common deficiencies among certain populations, and certain foods examples that could help! Then we will get to supplements that my family, friends, and I have found helpful.
Fixing Common Nutrient Deficiencies Through Food
Athletes Common Nutrient Deficiencies
- Food Sources: sea vegetables, cranberries, navy beans, organic yogurt, potatoes
- Vitamin D
- Sources: SUNLIGHT! Cod liver oil, salmon, tuna, eggs, mushrooms
- Food Sources: fortified cereals, seafood, poultry, eggs, legumes
- Vitamin E
- Food Sources: almonds, spinach, sweet potatoes, avocado
- Food Sources: yogurt, milk, kale, broccoli, cheese
Students Common Nutrient Deficiencies
- Zinc (covered above)
- Food Sources: spinach, pumpkin seeds, yogurt, kefir, almonds, black beans, chard
- Vitamin D (covered above)
- Omega 3’s
- Food Sources: walnuts, chia seeds, flaxseed, salmon, brussel sprouts
- Food Sources: lean poultry and meat, eggs, greek yogurt, beans, soy products, dairy, protein powders/bars
Fad Dieters Common Nutrient Deficiencies
- Vitamin B7
- Food Sources: organ meats, barley, fortified cereals, corn, egg yolks, wheat bran
- Vitamin D (above)
- Vitamin E (above)
- Food Sources: whole grains, bread, brown rice, meat, broccoli, beef, chicken breast, fish
- Iodine (above)
- Food Sources: beans, lentils, peas
U.S. in General Common Nutrient Deficiencies (>50%)
- Food Sources: hydration! Water, unsweetened tea, flavored waters, sparkling water
- Protein (above)
- Essential Fats
- Food Sources: nuts, seeds, avocado, fatty fish, olives, olive oil, coconut oil, fish oil
- Vitamin E (above)
- Food Sources: fortified grain products (bread, cereal,ect), seafood, poultry, eggs, legumes
- Calcium (above)
- Magnesium (see above)
- Vitamin A
- Food Sources: sweet potatoes, carrots, dark leafy greens, winter squashes
Now that we covered food first ways to treat deficiencies,
If you are not feeling well, or feel you may need an overall nutritional supplement to truly THRIVE in life, let’s chat real quick.
(this is not sponsored – please email me before deciding it’s for you so we can make sure! firstname.lastname@example.org )
I HATED every time someone reached out to me about the next “nutrition line” or had this “magic pill” they wanted me to come on board with. I (multiple times) denied even a conversation with companies like Beach Body, Isagenix, Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Plexus…
And I almost DIDNT write this portion of the blog post because I DONT want this to come across the wrong way. But I wanted to be honest with what is helping me and my family and friends, to feel the best we can.
My mom hadn’t been feeling well in a long time (and she has a GREAT diet), and then in January I began not feel well..I just wasn’t “myself”. I was under constant stress, still eating pretty well, however just digestion wise and energy wise, things were not as they used to be.
I tried fixing things through food, and so did my mom, but even with an optimal diet, it just wasn’t enough.
Just around the time I was feeling desperate, a now friend of mine named Amber reached out to me about this product called Thrive. I was skeptical to say the least. I told her I do NOT believe in magic pills or weight loss supplements (because that’s what I thought this whole Thrive thing was).
But as she began explaining it to me, saying the founder BELIEVES in living a nutritious, active life above all too — and that Thrive is NOT a meal replacement or magic pill — but instead, it’s a nutritional program to help prevent deficiencies and be that bandaid where you may not be measuring up.
I decided to try it AFTER looking at all the ingredients and making sure I even wanted to put this in my body. But at the ed of the day, it was all safe. Still was EXTREMELY skeptical I might add. And I got my mom to try it too.
Day 1, nothing for me. Day 2, nothing.
But by day 10, I was feeling like a new person. I texted my mom to see how she was feeling, and this was her response:
I was amazed. But most importantly, I was seeing my mom happy and alive again, and THAT is what made me realize, I needed to share. I need to share this with those struggling out there like my mom was — who ARE living a healthy life (not just looking for a magic pill), yet are still not feeling their best.
Since then, my good friend who is a mother, and my sister who is a new momma of 2, have also tried it out. Their energy levels changed drastically, and their focus was finally back (despite the whole Thrive line being less caffeine than a grande Starbucks coffee). My sister even skipped her typical afternoon nap she usually takes with her boys to get things around the house done!
All this to say, if this seems like something you may be interested in, let me know by emailing me @ email@example.com
Check out the product line here and then read some of the testimonials here first, and decide for yourself if you may want to try it.
- Quick run down:
- all 3 steps done right away in the morning within first 30 minutes
- it’s NOT a meal replacement, you still eat breakfast
- it has helped in multiple different areas to many different people
- you CAN begin getting it for free if you decide to tell others about it – however I would never (and wouldn’t want you to ever) unless you truly believe in it and see a difference yourself!
Friend, I hope you know by now if you’ve been following me for any time,
that I am not a “sell out”, or would EVER talk about a product I don’t TRULY take myself and believe in. And if for some reason I ever stopped, I would TELL you. You would be the first to know. Because nutritional science is always changing, and if I ever say something that no longer stands true, I’ll be the first to tell you.
If you think you may be interested, or think Thrive might be right for you, please reach out (firstname.lastname@example.org) and we can talk. I want to make sure you could benefit from this before you ever spending a penny, and that you are doing things right nutritionally through FOOD and your diet first.
Remember, food first. Active living first. THEN see if something like this may be best for you!
All my best,