Looking for the perfect appetizer that is gluten-free, healthy, AND delicious? These mini pancake appetizer bites with several topping options are a perfect way to add a unique plate to the table!
Summer is the season for lots of fun parties, yummy appetizers, and tapas type meals by the pool.
I don’t know about you, but I LOVE small bites. I’m a grazer #foreverandaways. I love nibbling here and there, which is why I LOVE my appetizers.
So today, I’m bringing you all a UNIQUE and FUN appetizer idea for your next party or get-together! These gluten free, mini pancake bites as appetizers serve as a great alternative to the basic cracker or toast that you would add fun toppings to.
I made these when I was home the other week for my mom and her friends, and they were a hit! Which is why when the Recipe Redux theme this month was “small plates and bites for sunny days”, I knew I had to save this recipe for it!
I went in many different flavor directions with these baby pancake bites, which is why I made the batter simple and plain. That way, I could dress it up in a savory or sweet way!
I went with some blueberry cheesecake flavored ones, for a sweeter taste.
And then I went savory with both some hummus and veggie ones, along with some curry chicken salad ones!
That is the beauty of these little perfect pancake bites. You can dress them up however you’d like!
I made my pancakes with oats and oat flour, because there are SO many nutrition benefits in oats! Do you know the good in them?
- Lowers Cholesterol: due to high fiber content
- Reduces Risk of Heart Disease
- Stabilizes Blood Sugar: especially great benefit to Diabetics!
- Shields Your Skin and Helps Hold Moisture: reason for many face scrubs and washes having oats in them!
- Great Carbohydrate to Fuel Athletic Performance & Boosts Energy Levels in General!
- Helps Sleep: contains B vitamins that are co-factors in serotonin production along with containing some melatonin too
Too lazy to make the pancake part?! I got you! You can simply buy those mini frozen pancakes if you don’t need to keep it gluten free, OR you can simply use a quick gluten free pancake mix you have on hand!
No matter what though, you will love to make these perfect pancake bites and have so much fun dressing them up with the flavors you’re in the mood for, or think will best suit your guests. Many topping suggestions at the bottom of the post, but you can even use your own imagination!
Next tea and breakfast party? Make them all sweet with different fruit and cream cheese flavors!
Next lunch gathering by the pool? Make them refreshing and light with cucumber & cream cheese, hummus & veggies, and smoked salmon & cream cheese!
Next dessert and coffee get together? Make them sinlessly sweet with vanilla yogurt and a peanut butter an chocolate drizzle!
So now I’m throwing some questions out to YOU!
- What topping would you choose for these perfect pancake bites?!
- Are you a pancake mix, frozen pancake, or homemade pancake kinda person?
- What is YOUR favorite appetizer to bring along to a party?
until next time,
xo, Sarah Grace
- ½ cup Rolled Oats
- 1.5 cups GF Flour (or regular white flour if not GF)
- ½ cup Unsweetened Almond Milk (if needed, add a couple more tbsps)
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- Honey and Sea Salt to Taste (I used ¼ tsp salt and 1 tbsp Honey)
- For sweet pancakes, can add in: chocolate chips, coconut, nuts, vanilla extract, extra honey
- Beat eggs in small bowl, add milk and stir.
- Combine dry ingredients in another bowl, and pour wet ingredients in and stir until all mixed together.
- Spray pan or drizzle with coconut/olive oil, allow to get hot.
- Spoon pancake batter in by the heaping tablespoon, making many small pancakes.
- Cook, flip, and repeat with rest of batter until all is done. Allow to cool.
- Choose some of the topping suggestions below or create your own!
- Sweet: Mix together equal parts 2% vanilla greek yogurt and cream cheese for main topping, then add:
- Blueberry Cheesecake: Mix vanilla extract into cream cheese mixture. Top with blueberries (and coconut if desired!)
- Chocolate Peanut Butter: Add cocoa powder and sweetener to taste into cream cheese mixture; drizzle peanut butter over top
- Cake Batter: add vanilla or butter extract into cream cheese mixture; top with sprinkles
- Almond Joy: Add cocoa powder and almond butter to cream cheese mixture. Top with coconut and sliced almonds
- Tropical Paradise: Add coconut flakes into cream cheese mixture. Top with mango and pineapple slices and drizzle with melted coconut butter and flaked coconut.
- Double Chocolate Chip: Add cocoa powder or chocolate protein into cream cheese mixture. Top with mini chocolate chips and drizzle with melted chocolate.
- Hummus and Veggie: Top with hummus or choice (or make one of mine!) and sliced veggies like carrots, bell pepper, cucumber, and spinach
- Curry Chicken Salad: Make my homemade curry chicken salad and layer spinach and the chicken salad on top of the pancakes.
- Lox and Pancakes: Top each pancake with whipped cream cheese and slices of smoked salmon