Do you love deviled eggs and hummus? These protein and fiber packed, healthy deviled eggs are for you!
I received free samples of Sabra Hummus mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Sabra and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
I love the thought of deviled eggs, because I feel they are just such a great, easy appetizer for parties and snack to keep around. But I’m just not the biggest fan of the mayo taste! And when wanting a healthy, nutrient dense snack, the yolk of the egg provides some good healthy fats and cholesterol; but adding more mayo on top of that gets a little pricey in the total fat category. On the same page as me? Then you’ll love these healthy deviled eggs that got a mayo makeover from the typical recipe!
See, hummus is not only a good plant based protein, but it is SO versatile. Whether vegetarian or not, both hummus and eggs are a great addition to your diet! Which is the reason I love it. You can eat it simply as a dip on it’s own, as a spread for a sandwich, or in place of mayo in recipes (which is a clue for this recipe here)!
When Sabra inspired me to make a recipe in honor of National Hummus Day on May 13th, I realized I didn’t want to just do something typical like a hummus encrusted chicken (which is also a great use for it!), or make it over into a new dip…I wanted to make healthy deviled eggs, mayo-free, vegetarian and gluten free!
Plus Sabra’s Hot and Spicy flavored hummus is BOMB if you’re a lover of all things spicey like I am, so using that flavor was a no brainer for me when experimenting. And boy did these healthy deviled eggs come out good!
Why should I try this healthy deviled egg recipe?
As I mentioned earlier, hardboiled eggs are such a good snack. As a soon to be dietitian, I recommend them to all my clients for a midday snack or addition to their breakfast for some extra protein. I also recommend hummus with some veggies as a snack, because that too is packed with nutrients. With this recipe combining both Sabra hummus and hardboiled eggs, it is a WINNING recipe in any health-conscious mind. Packed with protein, fiber, and healthy fats.
Not into “healthy tasting” recipes? SAME. Which is why I make sure all my recipes not only are more nutritious and packed with healthy ingredients, but that they TASTE GOOD too.
So tell me: What are you going to be mixin’ up in your kitchen for National Hummus Day? These healthy deviled eggs would be a good one!
Until next time,
- 12 Eggs, hardboiled
- 1 cup Sabra Hot and Spicy Hummus (or flavor of choice)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil (as needed to thin out mixture)
- ¼ tsp both Pepper & Sea Salt
- Paprika sprinkled on top!
- Put eggs in a medium pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, remove pot from heat, and let sit 14 minutes. Fill a large bowl with ice water. With a slotted spoon, transfer eggs to ice water bath.
- Cool eggs at least 10 minutes, then use a slotted spoon to transfer eggs back to hot water (to loosen shells) for 10 to 20 seconds. Pat dry and peel.
- Cut eggs in half lengthwise. Scoop out egg yolks and put them in a medium bowl. Add hummus, olive oil, pepper, and salt. Mash mixture together with a fork. Spoon filling into egg white halves, dividing evenly. Sprinkle with paprika.