A gluten-free, low sugar, and nutrient-dense dessert: chia pudding!
You’ve seen it all over, especially on commercials, but do you know it’s used for more than just a fun growing plant? Meet this delicious, filling chia pudding.
Haha yep, remember those green plants that would grow out of some type of fun shaped pot?! Well they aren’t only for growing great plant decorations anymore. They have entered into the healthy eating world now my friends. I mentioned how healthy chia seeds are in a couple posts back. But boy do they add a great texture as well.
Typical puddings usually have some type of unhealthy ingredient to thicken, whether it be the typical heavy cream, which is full of fat, or an artificial ingredient, which needs no more explanation. But say hello to these little black seeds. They may just become your new best friend. They are the perfect thickening agent for any recipe. A healthy and all-natural thickener with many benefits!
You may have seen some chia seed recipes around the internet before, as it’s quickly becoming popular. But this vanilla latte flavor was incredible. What sparked the flavor idea? Well, I can’t say it was my creativity actually. It was more of the fact that I had leftover vanilla flavored coffee one morning that I didn’t want to drink. And thought, hmmm, why not?!
I am most certainly happy I didn’t want the rest of my coffee that day, because what came from it was an amazing, simple snack that I will surely be making more often.
- ½ cup Strong Coffee
- ½ cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- 3 T Chia Seeds (4 for thicker consistency)
- 1 packet Stevia
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients in mug or small bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, to allow it to thicken.
- Remove and sprinkle with extra cinnamon.
- Enjoy alone with a spoon, make it into a parfait, or serve alongside a cookie/biscotti.
Chia Seed Benefits
1) Combats Diabetes: with its gelatinous coating it can prevent blood sugar spikes, and is also slow digesting which has lead to it being a possible treatment for diabetes
2) High in fiber: just 1 oz. has 1/3 of daily needed amount
3) Packed with Omega 3 Fatty Acids
4) Supports Bone and Teeth Health: packed with calcium
5) High in Manganese: an essential mineral for your bones
6) Rich in Phosphorous: aids body in synthesizing protein for cell and also maintaining healthy bones
7) High in protein: great source for vegetarians
8) Fights Belly Fat: it’s stabilizing affect on blood sugar also fights insulin resistance which is tied to an increase of belly fat
9) Contain tryptophan: also found in turkey, it is responsible for regulating appetite and improving sleep
10) Improves heart health
1) It may lower risk of death according to studies performed
2) Lowers risk of cancer in the reproductive system
3) Lowers the risk of developing type 2 diabetes
4) Help protect your brain
5) Great for skin/decreases skin cancer due to caffeine
6) Reduces risk of oral cancer
7) Strengthens muscles: studies show caffeine has similar effect to DNA molecules in muscles muscles of exercise